Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Beautiful Colorado Wedding

This weekend D and I traveled to Golden, CO to be a part of the wedding of Krista and Dustin. Krista and I worked on the same team at Fidelity until about a year ago when she moved to Denver to work at the Fidelity branch there. We got engaged at the same time and had fun planning our weddings together.


In between wedding activities we took some time to go to Boulder to meet up with my aunt and uncle. We had breakfast with them but then they gave us a map to follow and we visited the Pearl Street Pedestrian Mall and the Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse. This teahouse was a gift from Boulder's sister city, Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Don’t ask me where that is, I’m just proud I remembered the name. I’m not a big tea drinker but we had to order something so I got some mango concoction but believe me – there was no mango in it. It was basically just dirt water but I drank it all to prove that I was a sophisticated tea drinker in Colorado. We dodged the bicyclers to get back to our car and took a driving tour through the University of Colorado. D's main goal was to see the football stadium. Apparently if the Nebraska football team has stepped foot in a stadium then it is a place worth visiting. We then headed to the "Flat Irons" for a quick hike. We hiked uphill for about an hour and barely made it past the bottom line trees.
On Sunday we decided to drive to Breckinridge to enjoy the town a little. As we were getting closer the thermometer in the car kept going down till we were at 58 degrees! It was a little overcast and sprinkling so it was chilly even for Coloradans. We walked around Main Street and picked out our dream house. See below...
Then we ate lunch at the Breckinridge Brewery. And the day wouldn’t be complete without some exercise so we rented a tandem bike (a 2-seater bike) from a local bike shop. The plan was to ride from Breckinridge to Frisco which was about an 18 mile round trip. They told us the trip to Frisco was easy but the ride back to Breckinridge was all uphill. We made it to Frisco only a little bit wet from the rain and only one small argument between us. We stopped in the town to get some rain gear and coffee and finally got geared up for the uphill climb back to Breckinridge. We made it a couple of miles before the bike spoke bent as we were heading up a hill. A seasoned biker stopped and confirmed that the bike was not rideable so we had to call the bike shop and they sent a guy to come pick us up. He told us that they jokingly call the tandem bike – the divorce bike. It was a bit frustrating and tested our communication skills but we passed the test. I wish I had at least gotten a picture of the bike but I’m known for not having my camera at the most inopportune times. We did get half of our money refunded but I was just happy I didn’t have to ride the rest of the way uphill in the rain :)

So there are the highlights. It was a great trip and we hope to go back in the wintertime for some more skiing. But I don't know that I could handle skiing without Stacy going down the greens with me or Rachel letting me borrow her ski gear :)

5 comments:

Shandra said...

jill, i'm proud of you for riding that bike. if they told me the way back was going to be uphill... NO THANKS!! sounds like y'all had a good trip

Carrie said...

Sounds like y'all had a good time. I am with Shan on the bike thing...no thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

hey, i just cleaned out my closet and found some great ski stuff...sadly, alas, since having baby number four i am pretty sure i won't have a need for it in the near future-not that it still fits...so you can HAVE it;)

Anonymous said...

i never use those thing :o is that how they work 8} (that is my curious face)he he

Megan Kemp said...

Jill!! How in the world did you find me?? So, how long have you been married? Congrats! Where are you living now?? How are you?? Love to you! I'm going to check in often now! Patrick says "Heeeey!"