Thursday, August 2, 2007

High School Reminiscing


1. Who was your best friend?
Kari McCall Long. We met when I came to Shady Grove in the 9th grade. And I thought she had the greatest hair. She was also the smartest on in the class but not a nerd. I remember when I used to spend the night at her house she always had to clean the bathroom on Saturday morning. Being the good friend that I was, I didn’t help ☺ Oh, and she made the best chocolate chip cookies.

2. Did you play any sports?
I played volleyball and softball. I pretty much sat on the bench in volleyball till my senior year, then I got to play. We weren’t very good that year. Now softball was another story. We had Shannon Carper as our pitcher and she was good. So thanks to her we were good. By the way, Shady Grove had some kind of policy that allowed everyone to make the team so just because I played didn't mean I was good.

3. What kind of car did you drive?
I didn’t have my own car and I remind Jonathan of that when he complains about his hand me down Honda. My dad would let me drive his little blue pick up every once in a while but not too far because they were pretty protective.

4. It’s Friday night. Where were you?
Probably babysitting for the Simpson’s - our neighbors across the street. They would always order pizza for us and always had a stash of Oreos and Dr. Pepper.

5. Were you a party animal?
No – I was quite possibly the most sheltered girl in the whole world. We thought we were wild and crazy when we used to wrap Kari’s house. Yes, sometimes we were staying there and we still wrapped it.

6. Were you considered a flirt?
See above – I was so shy and scared of boys. I had crushes but there was no way that I could ever get up the nerve to talk to any of them. But now that I look back – I’m not missing anything ☺ Except for maybe Bobby Squashick.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir?
I was in the choir and we thought we were really cool when we got to sing a song other than a religious tune. I think we busted out one day in chapel with “I Love a Rainy Night.” Or it was something about Rain – Mrs. McCall might remember. Anyways, we formed a choir click – Altos Duck – don’t ask me how that came about but we thought we were cool. And I remember choir was right after lunch and some random girl was in choir with us one year and she would sit there in class and floss her teeth. Weird.

8. Were you a nerd?
No, I took Business Math instead of Calculus and that was the deciding factor at our school. The only thing I remember about that class is how to balance a checkbook.

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled?
No. I was such a goody-goody.

10. Can you sing the fight song?
Actually probably anyone could – It’s “When the Saints Go Marching In”. Yes – we were the Shady Grove Saints. I don’t know if it was officially our fight song but we adopted it.

11. Who was your favorite teacher?
Mr. O’Neal. He taught science and was also our senior sponsor. He would get his guitar out in Bible class and play – “Who Shall Separate Us from the Love of God” and other Hebrew type songs.

12. What was your school mascot?
The Saints.

13. Did you go to the Prom?
Yes. But it was called Jr./Sr. Banquet at our school. And the senior’s parents were invited. Junior year I went with Jon Haecker. I borrowed a dress from Rachel and it was white and lacy and really horrible now that I look back on it. Senior year Rachel and I decided we were too cool to go with boys from our own class so we asked some of our friends in the class below us to go with us as friends. I think our favorite song during that time was “Never Gonna Get It” by EnVogue but by "IT" we meant our attention or some other innocent thing.

14. If you could go back, would you?
No. In college I learned how to come out of my shell. But apparently I still was partially in my shell in college because a guy friend from college said talking to me was like talking to a fencepost! I just can’t let that comment go!

15. What do you remember most about graduation?
I got a new dress for graduation and it was a navy blue sleeveless dress with white polka dots and a big belt around the waist – remember the brown and white dress Julia Robert’s wore at the horse derby in Pretty Women?
And I also remember that my Uncle Doug came all the way from California to surprise me. I saw him when I was up on stage and it was such a sweet surprise.

16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day? The whole class went to the Dallas Cowboys victory parade in downtown Dallas after they won the Super Bowl. That must have been the guys idea.

17. Did you have a job your senior year?
I taught gymnastics at the Walnut Hill gym about 5 minutes from our house. My dad actually let me drive there by myself.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch?
I don’t think we were able to leave campus and we didn’t have a cafeteria so we always brought sack lunches. No fun.

19. Have you gained weight since then?
Yeah

20. What did you do after graduation?
Moved with my parents to Baton Rouge the summer after I graduated and then went to Louisiana Tech and then back to Baton Rouge and now back to Dallas. I’ve come full circle.

21. What year did you graduate?
‘93

22. Who was your Senior Prom Date?
Jordan something from the grade below us. But it wasn’t a real date – we just went as friends – remember our parents were invited to the banquet so I’m pretty sure I just drove with my parents.

23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion? I did go to the 10 year reunion and felt really old. There were only 2 girls in our class that weren’t married – never thought I would be one of them. But it all worked out!

Ok - now it's your turn to do it. It's fun!!!

5 comments:

Shandra said...

isn't it called ROLLING??? that whole thing was cracking me up! poor demian...does he realized who he married??

Elizabeth said...

I love it! But I don't have the energy right now to think of answers to 23 questions. Sorry!
I wish it was about college so we could see what you have to say about us.

Deborah said...

Yeah...I went to 3 high schools in 3 different states. I was always the new kid!

Mandy said...

You made me laugh out loud at that fencepost comment!!! :)

Kari said...

That was so much fun! Thanks for the hair comment - oh to have the hair I had back then! I haven't thought about high school in a long time - we are getting so old!!! I'll try and answer a few questions on my blog soon!