Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Happy Fall

It's officially the start of fall as of Sunday but it doesn't feel like it if you are in Texas. I hear we are expecting some cooler weather this week but I'm not going to hold my breath. Just wanted to update even though there is not a whole lot blog worthy going on here.
The couple’s shower that we hosted this weekend went well. It was a good excuse to get some projects done around the house. For instance, our dining room, which used to be the dog’s room, was converted back to its original design with some of the furniture that my grandmother gave us.
I got a lesson in recovering the dining room chairs and it wasn’t hard except for choosing the material and measuring how much I needed. I think somewhere along the way I forgot everything I learned in school about converting inches to feet to yards. The fabric store lady and I didn't communicate very well. I told her I needed 12 inch squares but apparently that wasn't the right way to say it so I didn't end up with enough fabric the first time. On my 2nd trip the fabric was 60% off so I lucked out. Everyone at the counter was congratulating me on my great bargain hunting ability and I just smiled and said thanks but I knew in my heart that I was not worthy.
I tried to be creative and make some cookies for the shower-see below. They tasted great, but it wasn’t quite the look that I was going for. Writing with icing is a skill I have yet to master.

In entertainment news: D and I recently went to see the movie 3:10 to Yuma. While it wasn’t my first choice, I really enjoyed it. It has a father/son element that will make any half way emotional person tear up. And Russell Crowe did an excellent job at portraying the bad guy. I also recently saw Hairspray with Mandy and loved that movie too. It’s a fun musical and you have to laugh at Jon Travolta playing the mom. It was really cute.

I’m loving all the premiers on TV this week. I watched Dancing with the Stars last night and out of the girls, my favorite is Dr. Quinn the Medicine Woman. I did think that the Sports Illustrated girl was cute but I’m sure she will be voted off soon since she isn’t that great. I just loved the part when her partner said – she is deceptively unfit. I can’t wait to see the guys tonight.

And The Bachelor…always entertaining.
None of the girls really stood out to me last night so I’ll have to keep watching. I ended up falling asleep before the rose ceremony so I’m sure I missed all the drama of who was kicked off without getting any alone time. You have to check out this blog for recaps. I think someone else has linked to this blog before but wanted to provide it just in case.

Gotta go watch Dancing with the Stars!!!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well, I am a week behind in reading your blog. Your dining room looks great. Maybe one day we will make it back to Dallas and see it in person.

I saw I guy at church today that I had to do a double take because he looked like a short Demian. If he had been taller I would have had to go make sure it was not him.

Mandy said...

If Kristi and I go to dinner with you this weekend, will you make us some cookies too? :)