Thursday, November 20, 2008

Not Martha Stewart

I've always said that I hate cooking. But I decided to be a good sport and make a Pecan Pie for our anual Thanksgiving Luncheon at work. So I researched recipes and decided to try Pioneer Woman's recipe mostly because she gives step by step directions with pictures. I followed the directions exactly and even made an extra pie for D to take to work. They looked so good last night when I took them out of the oven.

I cooked them for 1 hour (a full 10 minutes beyond what Pioneer Woman told me to do) but when it was time to cut them today before the luncheon I realized that even an hour wasn't enough. The inside of the pie was literally the consistency of Karo syrup - like I hadn't cooked it at all! I just took my pie back to my little cubicle and hid it under my desk. Then I brought it home so I could take a picture for the blog.
And it looks way worse in person! I might try to cook it for a while longer tonight to see if I can salvage it at all because pecans are expensive! And now I'm back to hating to cook.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I did the same thing with a Hershey bar pie for work once. It was soupy and pitiful looking. And it was for a pie contest! :)

Ashley said...

How dissappointing! I feel bad for you, especially since i know how much effort goes into baking! I have a pecan pie recipe handed down from my grandma...that is close to perfection. i compared the two recipes, and it seems that two differences are (1st) pw's recipe does not cook any of the ingredients on the stovetop first, and (2nd) the cooking time is different...grandma's recipe says 400 degrees for 30 mins, then turn oven down to 250 degrees for 20-25 mins.
Don't give up! I know you can do it!

Shandra said...

aww...jill, i'm sorry! it looked really good in the first pic.

Elizabeth said...

I am so proud of you for trying! Sounds like Ashley has a good tips

Unknown said...

Thanks for the suggestions Ashley. I'm not giving up!