Sunday, December 14, 2008

Race Day

We ran in the White Rock this morning (me the half - Mike and D the whole). This is Mike and D before the race... And me and D before the race...
D nearing the finish line... Me and D after the race...
Mike and D after the race and after food at IHOP...

It was a really fun experience. I don't know that Mike and D would agree because they are feeling it pretty bad tonight but hopefully they will agree once their soreness has eased a bit.
I ran with a girl named Sarah that I met at the starting line for the first 6 miles. It made the time go by so much faster. The race benefitted Scottish Rite Hospital and Sarah had been a patient there when she was younger. She is an inspiration. And she shared some chapstick with me so I will be forever grateful to her. I know that kind of sounds gross to share chapstick but I am addicted to Carmex and I failed to bring any. By mile 6 I really didn't care that much. At least I didn't have to use the gross port-a-potties.
I was a little disappointed with my time but it was my first one so I can't complain too much. I finished in 2 hours 18 minutes. But D did great - he beat his goal time of 4 hours by 18 seconds! I was so proud!

4 comments:

Shandra said...

i'm SUCH a bad friend! i totally forgot you were doing that! y'all are awesome! i'm so proud of you for making it all the way. i could NEVER do that. and the chapstick story is a little gross, but i totally understand. :)
things are crazy this week as i'm trying to get a million things done, finished and packed before we leave. so, my emailing has been cut short. if i don't talk to you before y'all have a good christmas. loved your card!!!

Michael, Meg & Naomi said...

I am so proud of you both!! I was only able to do the relay a few years ago. Good job!!!

Elizabeth said...

Congrats on a half a marathon. That is exciting. There is a group here training for one in Nashville and I have been doing their training schedule but I don't think I will do it. I get so bored. I am just hoping I can jog a 5K.

I have not read blogs in forever. That is wonderful about Julie. I am very excited for her!

Michelle said...

i would still be trying to get to the finish line.

good job!!